Website Westchester Residential Opportunities (WRO)
Westchester Residential Opportunities (WRO) is a nonprofit organization located in White Plains, New York whose mission is to promote fair, affordable and accessible housing for all individuals in the lower Hudson Valley region. WRO employs a variety of tools to advance this objective including arming families with the knowledge on how to obtain their first home.
Knowledge and Qualifications:
2+ years of relevant work experience in mortgage lending, homeownership counseling, residential real estate, financial counseling or similarly relevant industry. Must possess the ability to demonstrate care for the community; HUD Counselor Certification preferred or must be able to pass the exam within six months after hire. Strong computer, written and verbal skills necessary to maintain documentation and ability to interact effectively with clients, housing professionals, attorneys, real estate agents, community agencies, and local, county and state government representatives. Ability to maintain a caseload of clients including prompt and accurate maintenance of client’s physical files documentation with attention to detail and confidentiality; Willing to travel local and outside the state for training and meetings. Work off-site or off-hours on occasion as needed. Perform other job related duties and responsibilities as assigned to help support the program. The Homeownership Counselor will report to the Co-Directors of the Homeownership Department. Bi-lingual English/Spanish, a plus.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• The Homeownership Counselor will work closely with clients, prospective lenders, and program partners to advance client’s ability to purchase a home.
• Intake and assess clients’ overall financial situation as it relates to homeownership.
• Counsel clients in regards to budgeting, debt reduction, credit building and homeownership education.
• Assist the clients with creating a budget and a detailed action plan to overcome their financial situation.
• Manage and ensure clients’ file is completed from intake to resolution per organization and HUD guidelines.
• Facilitate and coordinate homeownership education workshops, including scheduling, marketing, and procuring speakers.
• Enter, track and maintain client and department information using MS Office, CMS database and filing system
• Assist clients’ applications with mortgage and/or other loan/grant programs with the necessary supporting documents for the lender/funder to assess clients’ readiness for a loan/grant.
• Ensure all clients’ data are entered, tracked, reported and monitored in regards to client’s progress through our management system and Excel spreadsheets as needed by funders and/or direct supervisor.
• Maintain proper program files, records and completion of reports to funders and supervisor in a timely manner.
• Build relationships with lenders, realtors, and other professionals to develop referral sources.
• Attend marketing and outreach events via in-person or virtual.
• Perform other administrative matters as determined by the Co-Directors.
• Some evening or weekend hours may be required on a limited basis
Highly motivated self-starter with strong project management skills. Works well with people in both individual and group settings. Possess effective analytical problem-solving skills. Ability to work independently and as a team member. Ability to be flexible, adaptive and positive in a fast paced, constantly changing environment. Community based non-profit experience and bilingual English and Spanish highly desirable. Ability to prioritize and excellent time management skills are an essential function in this role.
How to Apply:
Please email a resume, and cover letter as a Word or PDF attachment, referencing Pre-Purchase Homeownership Counselor to:
Human Resources Director
Westchester Residential Opportunities
470 Mamaroneck Avenue, Suite 410
White Plains, NY 10605
WRO is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit wroinc.org.