Website Westchester Residential Opportunities (WRO)
Westchester Residential Opportunities (WRO) is a nonprofit organization located in White Plains, New York whose mission is to promote fair, affordable and accessible housing for all individuals in the lower Hudson Valley region. WRO employs a variety of tools to advance this objective including arming families with the knowledge on how to obtain their first home and how to avoid foreclosure.
The Mortgage Foreclosure Counselor will work under the supervision of the Co-Directors of the Homeownership Department. He/she will assist with the development and implementation of the organization’s foreclosure prevention counseling program; and counsel homeowners who may face foreclosure because of rising interest rates, loss of employment, or other threats to their ability to pay their mortgage. The Foreclosure Counselor also markets the foreclosure prevention counseling program in the broader community; and monitors to ensure the accomplishment of program goals, objectives, and outcomes.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
• Provide professional housing counseling to prospective and existing individuals and families in accordance with the HUD/National Industry Standards guidelines. Create, maintain, and update client files on a regular basis. Prepare action plans, budgets and follow-up with clients in a timely manner.
• Market the foreclosure prevention counseling program in the community to increase knowledge of the program and its resources among distressed or potentially distressed homeowners.
• Be knowledgeable of the options and resources available to distressed homeowners and communicate the potential for success or failure in light of the facts of each case.
• When appropriate as a viable response to the homeowner’s circumstances, provide one-on-one counseling to distressed homeowners in budgeting and credit repair.
• Work with lenders, law firms and borrowers or with real estate agents to negotiate a work-out plan, re-finance, sale, etc.
• Assist in the development and maintenance of tracking systems to ensure the accurate documentation of counseling activities and to ensure the timely compilation and submittal of reports to the Co-Directors of the Homeownership department and to funding and financing agencies.
• Represent the organization before public bodies, financing institutions, real estate industry professionals, community groups, etc.
• Perform other administrative duties as determined by the Co-Directors.
• Attend marketing and outreach events via in-person or virtual, some evenings or weekend hours may be required.
• Assist with other agency related projects as needed.
Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent experience; at least one-year experience in mortgage lending and/or foreclosure prevention counseling strategies and programs; experience in program development; knowledge of lending laws and regulations; strong communication skills; bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
HUD Counselor Certification preferred or must be able to pass the exam within six months after hire.
How to Apply:
Email resume and cover letter as a Word or PDF attachment, referencing Mortgage Foreclosure Counselor in the subject line to:
Human Resources Director
Westchester Residential Opportunities, Inc.
470 Mamaroneck Avenue, Suite 410
White Plains, NY 10605
WRO is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit wroinc.org.