Website Portland Housing Center
POSITION SUMMARY: The HomeBuying Specialist reports directly to the Homeownership Program Director and works closely with other Portland Housing Center staff and community partners to facilitate homebuying transactions. The HomeBuying Specialist is responsible for providing guidance to first-time homebuyers by helping them navigate the homebuying process and assisting them in overcoming barriers to homeownership.
- Assess homebuyers by collecting and analyzing information regarding income, credit, assets, debts, and other personal financial information.
- Provide pre-purchase guidance, which includes interviewing and developing work and action plans with homebuyers.
- Assist homebuyers in overcoming credit and other barriers to home purchase.
- Counsel homebuyers on the mortgage financing process.
- Make appropriate referrals to and communicate with realtors, lenders, housing professionals, and other community resources.
- Conduct pre-closing meetings and document reviews with homebuyers.
- Maintain up-to-date entry of customer contact and status notes in relevant databases to reflect most current customer information.
- Ensure that each customer contact is tracked in client management system.
- Provide homebuyer readiness information and analysis to the appropriate agency staff.
- Carry out appropriate client follow up per HUD Housing Counseling requirements, while implementing an internal “triage system” that moves mortgage-ready buyers efficiently to lending staff.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality per agency policy and HUD Housing Counseling requirements.
- Obtain documentation of client loan closings which includes follow up with lenders and title companies.
- Ensure that data for monthly and quarterly production reports is entered in a timely manner.
- Participate in outreach activities and attend community meetings as appropriate.
- Must be able to pass the HUD certified housing counselor examination within two months of hire date.
- Carry out other responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree or two-years’ work experience in a mortgage lending, credit, and/or escrow environment
- Experience assisting consumers in overcoming financial barriers.
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of mortgage underwriting criteria and financial management techniques and tools
- Proficient computer knowledge and experience, including Microsoft Word, Excel and other spreadsheet programs, and data entry
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to present to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities.
- Demonstrated commitment to affordable housing
- Ability to complete NeighborWorks America homebuying counseling trainings and to obtain appropriate certifications
- Demonstrated commitment to working with underserved populations and communities of color
- Must have access to a secured, password protected internet service for remote work.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
- HUD Housing Counselor Certification
- Bilingual in English and Spanish Facilitation or Co-Facilitation of financial education experience
- Targeted Marketing and Outreach experience
Organizational Performance Measures:
● Work cooperatively with agency staff to carry out organizational goals
● Adhere to organizational policies and procedures
● Promote the Portland Housing Center and its services
● Apply an equity lens to all practices and decisions
● Professional experience working with diverse populations
Normal office environment. Occasional standing for long periods of time. Some lifting required (20-40 lbs). Ability to work frequent evenings and weekends. Travel to other training locations periodically required.
This position is located in Portland, OR. PHC staff are currently working remotely, and will return to working on site, therefore, employees are required to provide proof of vaccination for COVID-19 upon hire.
The salary range for this full-time position is $48,162-61,239, commensurate with experience and skills. Portland Housing Center offers excellent benefits, including PTO, flex time, medical, dental, vision & prescription insurance, life A&D insurance, 401k with employer contribution, short- & long-term disability.
Portland Housing Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, creed, sex, national origin, religion, age, handicap, disability, sexual orientation, family relationship, marital status, political affiliation, or any other reason prohibited by law.
Interested and qualified applicants to submit your resume and cover letter to be considered for the position.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com