Website Matrix Human Services
As the Senior Housing Counseling and Prevention Specialist, the selected candidate will provide housing counseling, homeless prevention and general housing stability services while also providing supervision of select housing services staff. Services and programs this role will help to support our one-on-one housing counseling and homebuyer group workshops, homeless prevention services such as intaking and assessing clients approved for financial assistance, case coordination and service linkages for households at risk of homelessness with the goal of helping them secure new or retain housing, and all services offered through the Detroit Housing Network initiative.
- Facilitate and supervise the intake, enrollment, and service delivery to housing clients
- Coordinate and supervise the quality collection of needed homeless prevention services documentation required for financial assistance payments
- In cases where prevention services are not possible, assist households in identifying safe and affordable alternative housing options and resources
- Complete housing habitability inspections and visual lead-based paint inspections as required to facilitate housing placements
- Provide ongoing case management to those at risk of being homeless, and to those that are receiving housing counseling services
- Help to craft and facilitate homebuyer workshops on topics such as: prepurchase homebuying, fair housing, post purchase non-delinquency, foreclosure prevention, financial capabilities, and rental topics
- Provide all relevant and available wraparound services including budget development, life skills, and resource navigation to assist clients reach their goals
- Maintain referral networks with a variety of sources both internally and externally
- Participate in the Continuum of Care (COC), Homeless Action Network of Detroit (HAND), Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) work groups, Detroit Housing Network (DHN) work groups and all other required program meetings and work groups
- Be an advocate on all issues related to those who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, those receiving housing counseling services, and those who are receiving general housing stability services
- Timely enter all necessary data into the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), CounselMax and all other program related client management systems
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Business Administration, or related field
- At least 2 or more years of management is required
- At least 2 or more years working with residents facing critical housing hardships
- Microsoft Office Suite proficiency required
Experience with the Homeless Management Information System is preferred, but not required
- Certified as a Housing Urban Development (HUD) housing counselor is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Candidate will be required to secure HUD housing counselor certification within 6 months of employment
- Personal transportation is required for employment; 10% local travel is expected
- Periodic evenings and weekend work is required
To apply for this job please visit www.matrixhumanservices.org.