Website Human Development Services of Westchester, Inc
CREATING COMMUNITY SINCE 1968
The Housing Counselor works to build healthy communities and expand homeownership opportunities and retention for low and moderate-income households. The Housing Counselor’s goal is three-fold: The Housing Counselor provides tenants with the skills necessary to maintain their rental apartments and prevent eviction, assist aspiring homebuyers with the skills, knowledge and information to buy and maintain a home, and to help homeowners facing delinquency and foreclosure restructure their mortgage debt. This work is done by bringing people into the program through outreach and marketing events; educating people about credit and managing their finances; and working with their financial position to prepare for loan application, loan modification, workout or other appropriate solutions, in addition to other services as needed and appropriate.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Provide professional housing counseling to prospective and existing low to moderate income individuals and families within Westchester County in the area of Pre-Purchase, Rental, Mortgage delinquency and Post-Purchase in accordance with the HUD/National Industry Standards guidelines.
- Create, maintain, and update client files on a regular basis.
- Prepare action plans and follow-up with client in a timely manner. The Housing Counselor is required to participate in Housing Court with clients, to assist with default services applications.
- Interact with Mortgage Service representatives, Realtors, Landlords and other relevant parties for clients to obtain the best mortgage products and resources available for home buyers, find and maintain rental properties and preserve home ownership for existing homeowners at risk of foreclosure.
- Perform administrative tasks required to ensure compliance with all grant requirements.
- Maintain complete and accurate files and records of client information in the Launchpad Database, office and assist the agency with the preparation of reports.
- Housing counseling experience preferred
- Must possess the ability to demonstrate care for the community
- HUD counselors Certification preferred or must be able to pass the exam within three-six months after hire
- Familiarity with social service networks in Westchester County
- Ability to maintain a caseload of clients including prompt and accurate maintenance of client's physical files documentation with attention to detail and confidentiality
- Willing to travel local and outside the state for training and meetings
- Work off-site or off-hours on occasion as needed
- Perform other job related duties and responsibilities as assigned to help support the program and ensure the smooth working of the NPC Housing Program.
MINIMUNM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- BA, or equivalent work experience
- Bi-lingual, English-Spanish required
- HUD Certification and or ability to obtain HUD Certification within three-six months of employment.
- Understanding of/experience with housing policies at a local, county, state, and federal level. Some experience with home buying.
- Local community knowledge preferred.
- Own car and valid driver’s license and insurance.
- Must be fingerprinted, State Wide Central Registry Staff Exclusion List and criminal background check cleared by NYS Justice Center. Valid/clean driver’s license and own car for work.
Commensurate with experience, HDSW offers a comprehensive benefits package.
HDSW is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter email@example.com Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicant review will continue until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org