Website Chhaya CDC
Overview of the Organization:
Chhaya is the only South Asian and Indo-Caribbean Community Development Corporation (CDC) in the nation. Our mission is to build community power, housing stability, and economic well-being of the South Asian and Indo-Caribbean communities in New York. Since our founding in 2000, Chhaya has helped prevent hundreds of foreclosures; assisted first-time homebuyers in obtaining thousands of dollars in down-payment assistance, led the basement legalization campaign in New York City, provided individuals with key immigration services, empowered families with financial management tools and skills, and fostered the civic engagement of thousands of South Asian and Indo-Caribbean New Yorkers. As a leader in New York City’s housing and economic justice sector, Chhaya is poised for significant organizational growth and development. Our main office is in Jackson Heights and we have a second location in Richmond Hill – two neighborhoods with vibrant South Asian and Indo-Caribbean communities.
Summary of the Position:
Chhaya seeks an energetic and dynamic Senior Small Business Program Associate to engage in its Small Business Program. Chhaya’s Small Business Program works to promote, protect, and preserve the immigrant-owned and immigrant-serving small businesses in New York City. The Senior Program Associate will work with small business owners and other stakeholders to prevent the displacement of culturally-significant businesses from the neighborhood, which is facing rapid gentrification.
The Senior Small Business Program Associate will help Chhaya CDC deliver commercial revitalization programs and services as the organization expands its services. This is a critical time in the progression of the program as Chhaya seeks to build out its technical assistance capabilities and program measurement over the next few years. The Senior Program Associate will work in partnership with the Small Business Organizer and the organization’s leadership to assist local Jackson Heights & Richmond Hill businesses and work on other projects to address the needs of immigrant-owned small businesses. This position will report temporarily to the Director of Programs. This position will eventually report to the Associate Director of Programs (ADP), Asset Building and Small Business (currently this ADP role is open).
- Lead efforts to build out Chhaya’s small business technical assistance offering, including but not limited to: workshops, individual business coaching, and other projects/needs as they arise
- Implement and evaluate small business campaigns in targeted neighborhoods including but not limited to business support and retention, technical assistance, and public space activation
- Facilitate conversations with a wide range of stakeholders on a range of complex issues and projects that impact the South Asian commercial corridor of Jackson Heights, the South Asian and Indo-Caribbean corridors of Richmond Hill/South Richmond Hill and other target areas
- Assess neighborhood conditions and needs by gathering and analyzing commercial district data;
- Partner with the Small Business team and Chhaya leadership to strategize about creative ways to address the needs of South Asian and Indo-Caribbean businesses in Queens and throughout New York City
- Liaise regularly with multiple City agencies to leverage resources and acquire the necessary support for projects and initiatives
- Engage community stakeholders and partner organizations in designated commercial corridor efforts
- Track and measure program metrics and impact
- Connect with stakeholders, including elected officials, city officials, community leaders, partner organizations, and funding partners, to attain additional economic development resources for immigrant-owned small businesses
- Other responsibilities, as required
As a member of the Chhaya staff, additional responsibilities may be added related to special events, critical initiatives, and other special cases that require full staff participation (some evenings and weekends). Further, as a Chhaya team-member, it is every employee’s responsibility to help further the organization’s mission by building a work-culture centered around ownership, accountability, fairness, inclusiveness, and fun.
- Two or more years of experience with small business technical assistance, commercial revitalization, community nonprofits, community-based planning and organizing, and/or neighborhood development issues
Familiarity with Queens and its South Asian communities
- Fluent in English and Bangla, Punjabi, Nepali, Hindi, Urdu, Tibetan or another South Asian language is required
- Commitment to engaging diverse constituents in low- and moderate-income communities
- Interested in understanding the different perspectives and needs of diverse community stakeholders
- Existing relationships with merchant associations and/or the NYC Department of Small Business Services preferred
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strong relationships with governmental agencies, elected officials, non-profit organizations and other community groups
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, and provide timely and clear updates to supervisors
- Ability to work in an organized, efficient manner with a high level of accuracy, attention to detail, and follow-through
- Ability to complete tasks and project with tight deadlines
- Demonstrate a passion and commitment to creating and maintaining strong, vibrant neighborhoods and commercial corridors
- An ability to be flexible and willingness to wear “multiple hats” if and when needed
- Flexible schedule with the ability to work some weekends and evenings, if needed
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office and GSuite applications, including Word/Docs, Excel/Sheets and PowerPoint/Slides
- Experience with and knowledge of Salesforce or other cloud-based CRMs, preferred
- Experience working with populations with limited English and/or computer proficiency, preferred
Sense of humor – a plus
- Salary Range: $55,000 – $60,000 (annual salary)
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, two professional references (in PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Small Business Program Associate – Application”.
Applications will be accepted until October 15, 2023. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
This is a bargaining unit position with the Transport Workers Union, TWU.
Chhaya CDC is an equal opportunity organization that celebrates and embraces diversity. Chhaya does not discriminate on the basis of caste, race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or any other identities covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and organizational need.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com